Hi guys I’m sorry I’ve been MIA for so long but this has been the most ridiculous Etsy time for me ever. People are buying holiday gifts and I have approximately 1000000 custom orders to draw before Christmas and my Second City show is coming to the end of rehearsal time and my work hours are basically 8 AM to 1 AM these days and it’s a hot mess (humblebrag?). Anyway what I’m saying is that I miss you!! And I will come back as soon as I have a moment to spare!
love and hugs, Tyler
Hello there! I was just wondering what kind of supplies you used for all of your drawings! Like what paper, pens, scanner?, notebooks you use. Right now I have a large moleskin I doodle in, and its kind of a pain to scan in sometimes. Any suggestions on some good supplies to stock up on?
Ooh, I haven’t answered a question like this in a while! Here are some of my favorite supplies:
- Mechanical pencils + regular ole printer paper (I often use the back side of old script drafts from my Second City classes)
- Micron Pens in size 02, the most wondrous pen for inking detail. This is what I use for signing all my prints.
- Genius Scan, a free iPhone app for scanning (you just take a photo of your art, use the black and white filter to clean it up, and email it to yourself as a .jpg — I recommend this if you’re having trouble scanning your moleskine onto a regular scanner)
- Acorn for Mac, where the magic happens (one day I’ll shell out for Photoshop and Illustrator but, for now, this $50 program gets the job done just fine)
- For notebooks, I just go to Target or Walgreens and pick the ones with the prettiest covers (+1000 points for cats), but I mostly use notebooks for writing and not drawing
- Prismacolor colored pencils, so, so expensive but absolutely magical. Spend a few hours coloring a big project at Starbucks and feel like the fanciest artist around. Also they smell like heaven (but I am weird and in love with the smell of art supplies and wish Crayola made a perfume)
- Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust Pens spread sparkles all over your paper and look like pens that space fairies would use. My favorite since 7th grade. They make grocery lists look beautiful.
- Washi tape, any brand, any color, any pattern. I am in love.
I hope this is helpful!!
Let’s dish about our favorite art supplies!
i love prismacolor!! what do you use it for?? any of the roaringsoftly drawings, or just other projects?
I don’t use colored pencils for Roaring Softly stuff because I don’t like how it looks scanned, but colored pencil art was my JAM in high school. It’s my heart language.
Also I’m adding Magic Rub erasers to this list! They have the most awkward name in the world, but they erase like a dream. My mom got me into them when I was a small child and I haven’t turned back since.
Aaaand sold! That was fast!
Psst the next person from tumblr to buy a print from my etsy shop is getting a free 5x7 “I want to go to there” print thrown in! Let me know it’s you in the Notes to Seller section!